Tuesday, November 20, 2012

I am Thankful for a woman who has never given up on me!

Hi Everyone,

Today I am thankful for a woman who has been there for me even when I didnt take the time to realize it. I stepped foot in Mrs. Kathy Green's third grade class for the first time in 1997. I was pretty much this scared little girl that really didn't know what to do. She had one of the sweetest smiles in the world and she automatically became a friend.

When I was in 3rd for the school year of 1997-1998, I had a lot of health issues and surgeries. I can remember how thoughtful Mrs.Green was each time I had to miss class. Due to my health issues and probably a few other things like math facts, my parents and other people thought it would be best if I would stay behind and do another year of 3rd grade. I actually can remember thinking to myself that I would only agree to this if I was placed in Mrs.Green class again. I actually wished upon a star it would happen and It did! I know I wasnt the easiest kid to deal with but Mrs.Green never gave up on me and that I will be forever grateful for.





Mrs.Green made third grade worthwhile. She is one of those special teachers that just know the love in teaching. There are so many memories I have from both years of 3rd grade but most of them are fuzzy or have faded.There are a few that will stick with me forever and ever. There was this one time that we did a contest and had to write about bugs to win a trip the the movie theaters to see "A Bug's Life". I also remember another time we were talk about differences in each other. I was really not sure of fitting in because of my Spina Bifida back then. I remember a day when there was a puppet show that came into class and was about disabilities. That day I remember being able to bring in my doll that wore braces and had crutches. I also got to share my book called "A very Special Critter." That day was one of the best I had had ever. It made me feel like I belonged for the first time.


As years went on Mrs.Green and I became pen pals. It would make my day to go to the mail box or get a letter from her. I would tell her how school was going and such. It was so special to have a friend like that. Most of my school friends never really wrote letters and sent cards so it made it even more special to have someone that cared.

When my grandma died in 2000, I didnt think anyone was there for me. I can remember her funeral but something afterwards I will never forget. My mom handed me a little flower terrarium and told me that they were for me. I read the card and through the heartback, I felt love. They were from Mrs.Green. I watered and keep that for as long as I can remember. Each time I looked at it I remember feeling HOPE.

 I believe it was my 7th grade year I learned she was retiring. Lets just say I was really sad. I wanted to be a student aide in her class but you couldnt do that till 8th grade and now she would be gone. I dont really remember exactly how it happened but somehow I got to student aide in her class my 7th grade year. It was so much fun and a defiantly a learning experience. Mrs.Green moved away to be closer to family. First to Grand Rapids and now WI and FL.


As the years went on and I entered high school and such. I began to pull away from alot of people and sadly I feel one of them was Mrs.Green. I didnt want to be near anyone due to my grandma had died, my PT/Friend Pat died, and when my Grandpa died in 2006, I did believe anyone I trusted would be taken away from me. I didnt want to lose anyone else especially Mrs.Green.  But what I didnt really realize till recently, Mrs.Green was always there even when I didnt see it.

This year I have learned alot but one thing is that wishes can come true. My birthday this past year was one of  the best. Ms.Coe was home, My best friend was got enough money to save her spot for LA, I got flowers from Ms.Vigus and my sister and I got to see Rascel Flatts. But one thing I will never forget is that I got a call from Mrs.Green saying she was in MI for a few days and wanted to get together! I love when she comes to visit. It makes me realize friendship last forever!

Mrs.Green, I believe, is one of my guardian Angels. She is one of the sweetest people I know. I am so lucky to have her in my life and can call her a friend. So that is why today I am so very Thankful for Mrs. Kathy Green! I love her from the bottom of my heart! I miss her everyday but she is always close to my heart!

1 comment: